I came across this recipe for Chicken Tortilla Soup while browsing one of my favorite food blogs, Closet Cooking. Kevin always offers fresh and inspiring recipes which generally involve the use of a few flavorful ingredients. A few of my favorites are his Jalapeno Popper Dip, BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich, and Buffalo Wing Dip. The soup is yummy, fresh, and just touch spicy!
1 tablespoon oil
1 onion (chopped)
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
4 oz can of diced green chilies
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 chicken breasts cooked and shredded
4 cups of chicken stock
1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
1 10 ounce can salsa verde
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup frozen white corn kernels
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
tortillas (sliced and toasted, or tortilla chips)
sour cream (optional)
cheese (grated, optional)
avocado (sliced, optional)
– Cook and shred chicken as desired. Set aside.
1. Heat the oil in a pan.
2. Add the onions and saute until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and green chilies and saute until fragrant for a minute.
4. Add the chili and cumin powders and saute for a minute.
5. Add the chicken, corn, stock, tomatoes, salsa verde, oregano, bay leaf, salt and pepper.
6. Simmer for about an hour. (You could serve as soon as the chicken is cooked if you are in a hurry.)
7. Turn off the heat and stir in the cilantro.
8. Serve with your favorite garnishes such as sour cream, shredded cheese, avocado, etc.