This Thanksgiving, I was looking for something to make that was a little non-traditional, quick, and easy. I flipped through my cookbooks and decided on Kelsey’s Brownie Pie (similar to this recipe). I have been eating this dessert for many, many years, but I think I have only made it myself one time before! And in case you are wondering, Kelsey was the first to make this recipe so therefore she holds the right to name it!
Although the recipe calls for Cool Whip, I decided to make my own whipping cream instead and I have to say it turned out fantastic!
Kelsey’s Brownie Pie1 package (19-21oz) Ghirardelli‘s Brownie Mix 1 Cup Cold Milk 1 Package (4 servings size) Chocolate Instant Pudding 1 Tub (8oz) Cool Whip or Homemade Whipping Cream*
1. Prepare brownie mix as directed on package.
2. Put in 9″ pie plate and bake at 325 about 40 minutes or until done. Cool completely.
3. Scoop out center of brownie with a spoon, leaving 1″ crust around edge and thin layer of brownie on bottom. Reserve brownie scraps.
4. Pour milk into medium bowl. Add pudding mix.
5. Beat with wire wisk until blended.
6. Gently stir in half of the whipping cream and all but a few brownie scraps (to sprinkle on top later).
7. Spoon pudding/whipped cream/brownie mixture into center of crust.
8. Top with remaining whipping cream.
9. Sprinkle with remaining brownie scraps.
10. Refrigerate 3 hours until ready to serve.* for homemade whipping cream (1 pint cold heavy whipping cream, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract. Beat together until peaks form). **** **** ****